The 26th Annual Cool Desert Night will happen on June 20 to 23, 2019. The event will take place in the Uptown Shopping Plaza a... Read More
The Country Home | Countryside Living
Country Living Benefits
There are a host of advantages to living in the countryside – besides the obvious benefits of breathing in fresh air every day, living with breathtaking scenery and natural beauty all around and waking up to the sounds of birds chirping instead of horns blaring, you get to live in a large and comfortable house that would cost you the earth in a city, and your cost of living comes down drastically.
The Second Residence
While most people who decide to turn country are retired and wish to start afresh in a locality where the quality of life is better, there are others who buy country homes as a second residence, a place to vacation or as just an investment. Country real estate is different from urban real estate in that there are aspects in the latter that we cannot take for granted when buying a house in the countryside. Here are some of the issues you need to consider before putting down your money on a country home:
- Never buy property that you have not seen and checked out in person. Advertisements and virtual tours can only convey so much. Before you park your money on the property, drive down and inspect it to see if it meets your expectations, if you can move in immediately or if you need to make a few repairs.
- Make sure your property is easy to access and has a proper road connecting it to the main town.
- If it’s too isolated, ensure that your have some security arrangements set up to prevent crime and attacks.
- Check if the property has piped water supply. If not, what are the alternative options available? If it’s well water you’re getting, make sure you test it to see if its potable. Also ensure that the supply is adequate for the needs of your family.
- Check out the sewage system; most country homes have drainage pipes connected to septic tanks as opposed to the sewers in cities. Ensure that you’re not going to be faced with clogged and regurgitating toilets after you move in.
- While most areas do have electricity these days, check out the reliability of the source. If there are frequent power outages, make sure you have a good source of backup power to tide you over.
- Make sure the pipe and electrical fittings are in good condition. Some old homes may need to have them replaced either entirely or in places.
- If you’re the kind who needs occasional entertainment from the big cities and the bright lights, buy property that’s at a drivable distance from a large city so you can indulge once in a while.
- Find out the communication options available – if you’re used to telephones, mobile phones and the Internet and can’t live without them, you’re going to be pretty miserable if you’re stuck in the boondocks without these conveniences which have become basic necessities today.
- Make sure the documentation and paperwork are in order before you buy. Property demarcation is important when you’re buying unenclosed land with a house on it. Ensure that there’s no room for disputes in the future.
Make your country living more pleasurable by taking care of these nitty-gritty details before buying a home in the countryside.
Call us, 509.438.9344, Email us, or fill out the contact form below.
We respond right away! -Colleen & Joe Lane, Realtors®
Latest From Our Blog...
Join 'Live @ 5' Summer Concert Series by Hapo Community Credit Union every Thursday evening beginning June 6. 'Live @ 5' will run f... Read More
Celebrate Invertebrates! June 15, Saturday, 9 am - noon at McNary National Wildlife Refuge When: June 15, Saturday – ... Read More
REACH Foundation Annual Fundraiser Day's Pay, REACH Museum, Richland WA | Jun. 20, 2019 | 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM July 23, 1944, marke... Read More
Second Saturday Uptown Shopping Center Art Walk in the Uptown Shopping Center, Richland WA | Jun. 8, 2019 | 3:00 PM - 7:0... Read More
ACT Garden Arts Tour & Party | Jun. 8, 2019 | 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM | Tri-Cities, WA Be entertained as The Acade... Read More
Join this years' Glow Hike on Friday, June 21, 2019 - 8:30pm to 10:00pm The group will meet at the Trailhead Community Pa... Read More
Auction of Washington Wines Wine and Music Festival | Jun. 1, 2019 | 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM | Col Solare | Benton City, W... Read More
Auction of Washington Wines Vineyard Dinner | May 31, 2019 | Kiona Vineyards | Benton City, WA Take in the sweeping vi... Read More
Join the Hogs and Dogs 2019 Regional Family Festival on June 20, 2019, hosted by the West Richland Chamber of Commerce. The event w... Read More