We may not agree with many of the policies that are being placed upon us, but one thing is for sure, Benton and Franklin Counties w... Read More
Selling and Buying Real Estate Notes
Sale of real estate notes raise cash quickly. A real estate note is the loan document created to finance sale of the owner’s house or investment property. It could be a mortgage note or a land contract or contract for sale whereby payments are made in cash by the buyer.
Guidelines When Dealing with Real Estate Notes
A risk involved is that while a seller won’t get the full face value for his note there could be other fees needed to be paid. Questions arise such as whether there is a normal discount on a note or whether the buyer is trustworthy. Some guidelines for these are:
1. There should be no upfront fees. Certainly there will be some buyers who will check on the buyer’s credit and give a note without charging any fee.
2. Some exceptions could have a fee. The property owner may have to pay for the title policy if there are problems with the title that prevent purchase. There may be an appraisal payment if the property appraises at less than the sales price.
3. It is necessary for the note buyer to give a written purchase agreement with the purchase price and contingencies. All clarifications should be made in case of any doubt.
4. The note buyer should check the credit of the property buyer upfront. Fraudulent buyers can quote one price initially and then lower it later claiming that the property buyer has bad credit balance.
5. Several note buyers should be contacted for quotes. With information provided on the type of property, sale price, payment amounts, current balance etc., there should be a response within a day or two.
6. When a quote is selected, copies of the Mortgage or Deed of Trust, the Note, the closing or Settlement Statement and the Title policy will have to be sent.
7. The property owner should ask about the processing time. Usually once the offer is agreed upon and documents sent over, a certified check or electronic transfer to the account is expected within two or three weeks.
Getting the Maximum on Real Estate Notes
Prices offered on notes vary. Those with balloon payments get a higher price while ‘seasoned’ notes sell for even more. Some note buyers like to buy new or ‘unseasoned’ notes. After six payments these notes get a much higher price.
By deferring the sale of a house to the future as higher interest rates and shorter loan periods would fetch more money. Note buyers consider second mortgage notes and other second place real estate notes differently. The latter cannot add up to much more than 70% of the property value. If there are discounts they are likely to be steep by 20% to 30% less than the current balance on the note.
Call us, 509.438.9344, Email us, or fill out the contact form below.
We respond right away! -Colleen Lane, Realtor®
Latest From Our Blog...
Open House (Virtual): 483 Aimee Drive, Richland WA 99352 This virtual open house is best viewed on a full screen on a larg... Read More
Women of Washington Wine | The Walter Clore Center | Prosser, WA | Aug. 22, 2020 | The Walter Clore Center | 6:... Read More
Are you looking for something to do this weekend in the Tri-Cities Washington or in the surrounding area? Then check this out! We h... Read More
We will update the 2020 2021 Benton Franklin Fair and Rodeo information as we receive it: The 2020 Benton Franklin Fair and Rode... Read More
From this year's 2020 Columbia Cup Hydroplane Races on the Columbia River about next year's 2021 Columbia Cup Hydroplane Races on t... Read More
Not sure what is going on with Second Saturday Uptown Shopping Center Art Walk in Richland given the current Covid-19 climate,... Read More
Apparently the 2020 70th Annual Art In The Park at Howard Amon Park, Richland WA is still on. From their website: We a... Read More
What is going on with this year's 2020 Riverfest? Not sure what else to post except that our family will miss it if Covid-19 has it... Read More
Not sure what is happening with the Women Work Art Show, but hopefully there will be one this year. Stay tuned... Last yea... Read More