Three Rivers Folklife Society has put on the Tumbleweed Music Festival every year and on August 30, 31, & September 1, 2019 the... Read More
Selling and Buying Real Estate Notes
Sale of real estate notes raise cash quickly. A real estate note is the loan document created to finance sale of the owner’s house or investment property. It could be a mortgage note or a land contract or contract for sale whereby payments are made in cash by the buyer.
Guidelines When Dealing with Real Estate Notes
A risk involved is that while a seller won’t get the full face value for his note there could be other fees needed to be paid. Questions arise such as whether there is a normal discount on a note or whether the buyer is trustworthy. Some guidelines for these are:
1. There should be no upfront fees. Certainly there will be some buyers who will check on the buyer’s credit and give a note without charging any fee.
2. Some exceptions could have a fee. The property owner may have to pay for the title policy if there are problems with the title that prevent purchase. There may be an appraisal payment if the property appraises at less than the sales price.
3. It is necessary for the note buyer to give a written purchase agreement with the purchase price and contingencies. All clarifications should be made in case of any doubt.
4. The note buyer should check the credit of the property buyer upfront. Fraudulent buyers can quote one price initially and then lower it later claiming that the property buyer has bad credit balance.
5. Several note buyers should be contacted for quotes. With information provided on the type of property, sale price, payment amounts, current balance etc., there should be a response within a day or two.
6. When a quote is selected, copies of the Mortgage or Deed of Trust, the Note, the closing or Settlement Statement and the Title policy will have to be sent.
7. The property owner should ask about the processing time. Usually once the offer is agreed upon and documents sent over, a certified check or electronic transfer to the account is expected within two or three weeks.
Getting the Maximum on Real Estate Notes
Prices offered on notes vary. Those with balloon payments get a higher price while ‘seasoned’ notes sell for even more. Some note buyers like to buy new or ‘unseasoned’ notes. After six payments these notes get a much higher price.
By deferring the sale of a house to the future as higher interest rates and shorter loan periods would fetch more money. Note buyers consider second mortgage notes and other second place real estate notes differently. The latter cannot add up to much more than 70% of the property value. If there are discounts they are likely to be steep by 20% to 30% less than the current balance on the note.
Call us, 509.438.9344, Email us, or fill out the contact form below.
We respond right away! -Colleen Lane, Realtor®
Latest From Our Blog...
This year the 2019 Benton Franklin Fair and Rodeo is “The Best Week of the Summer.” Come check out all the fair has to ... Read More
Riverfest 2019 | Sep. 7, 2019 | 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM | Columbia Park/Lampson Pits | Kennewick, WA RiverFest is a FREE family eve... Read More
Cuisine de Vin | Aug. 16, 2019 | 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM | Terra Blanca Winery | Benton City, WA Visit this over 21 casual fun-fi... Read More
Second Saturday Uptown Shopping Center Art Walk in the Uptown Shopping Center, Richland WA | August 10, 2019 | 3:00 PM - 7:00 ... Read More
The 2019 HAPO Columbia Cup will mark the 54th time Unlimited Hydroplanes have raced on the Columbia River. This year’s event,... Read More
2019 69th Annual Art In The Park at Howard Amon Park, Richland Washington. Experience an explosive event which brings together Tri-... Read More
Woman Work: All-Women Art showJul. 12, 20196:00 PM - 9:00 PMDrewBoy Creative | Richland, WADrewBoy Creative presents its first-ever... Read More
2019 See 3 Slam Basketball Tournament Sponsored by Tri-CU Credit Union and presented by Sunrise Rotary and the City of Richland on ... Read More
Are you looking for something to do this weekend in the Tri-Cities Washington or in the surrounding area? Then check this out! I ha... Read More